Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Go Your Own Way

I wanted to post just to clarify a few things.  Since yesterday and today have been the first days of school in our local districts, suddenly I'm getting TONS of questions about unschooling.  Even though we've been homeschooling since the beginning, this concept is even hard for our homeschooling friends to wrap their minds around.  I get that.  I was there once.  So here are some things that have been on my mind. 

*The name unschooling kind of sucks.  It doesn't mean no-learning.

*The decision to unschool is one that is well thought out.  As much as it may seem willy nilly to some because it's not structured, it is not taken lightly.  We are not lazy.  We are not glued to the TV.  We are learning daily.  I love my children.  I'm not throwing caution to the wind.  Anyone who knows me would know that's the furthest thing from the truth.

*We are not anti-public school...or anti-traditional school...or anti-traditional homeschooling.  I have just experienced for myself what sit-down-at-a-desk schooling looks like for our family and it hasn't been pretty.  Each child has their own personality, as I discussed in my last blog.  Some children thrive in a structured school environment.  Most children probably don't.  It is set up for a handful of personality types and the rest are deemed average, or less than average, or ADD, or whatever.  My two oldest kids would very likely be labeled ADHD if they were in school.  One needs a lot of alone, quiet time, and one is generally bouncing off the walls all day.  Neither can focus well while sitting at a desk.  It's just our reality.  Do I want to medicate and change them to fit a structured environment?  Not especially.  We're home already.  We have the privilege (and it is a privilege) to give them the space to learn in the way it works best for each of them.  But I do see the value in a public education system, and I know enough passionate teachers to know that there is a place for everyone, and everyone's place is not the same.  By all means, do what works for you.  I'd love to hear about it.

*Unschooling is not for everyone.  I'm not judging you.  Please do not judge me.  To unschool you have to be okay with noise and messes.  You have to want to know more about the world.  You have to want to get out there and get dirty.  If you fit these criteria, it's not hard.  It's not a burden.  You don't have to be super organized.  You just have to live as you'd normally live, and make notes of what your kids are learning to appease the government.

*My kids will learn to sit down, take direction, raise their hand, and follow rules.  Some of these things have already been learned.  It doesn't require 13+ years of practice to learn these skills.

*If you have questions, I'm happy to answer.  If you have advice...well, maybe keep it to yourself.  If I want your advice, I'll be sure to ask.  That may sound rude, but I don't tell you your decisions are wrong, or warn you about your kid not going to college, or tell you what you have to do. 

*I like to post about what we're doing.  I take lots of pictures.  This is not to prove how much better we are than you.  This is not to rub your nose in my feeling we are superior in some way.  It is because we're excited.  Our life is happy.  When I'm excited and passionate about something I like to share, just like you post pics of your kids' first day of school, or their new sneakers or backpack.  I'm not opening a door for you to tell me your opinion.  I just want to express myself.  Plain and simple.

I appreciate the kind, supportive friends that I have.  I especially appreciate the AMAZING women I've gotten to know through our unschooling community.  This is a very special time in our lives and I'm happy to share it with anyone who'd like to read about it, or have a conversation about it, or share in our experiences.  We just want to be accepted, just like everyone else. 

For my next trick I will likely post some FAQs.  Sometimes people have questions that I can't  answer in a five minute sitting...and to be honest I'm tired of answering the same things over and over...and over again.  So be sure to check back if you're curious.  And if you're considering unschooling, PLEASE don't hesitate to contact me.  I am HAPPY to help you find your way and make some connections with other unschoolers.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment