Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Space Oddity

Now that I've finished my Pam Laricchia books, I'm onto the "Bible" of unschooling...better known as Sandra Dodd's Big Book of Unschooling. I'm barely 1/6 of the way into it and I already have so much to say! For starters, I love that this book is broken down into very specific, bite sized nuggets. You can pretty much turn to any page at any time. No need to read it cover to cover...although I am. Seldom have I found a book that speaks so clearly to my soul. She has written things that I've said, or thought already! Below is one of the quotes from the book that made me question, did she read my mind?!
"School has become so much a part of life in the past few decades that it seems to some that taking their children out of school is like leaving the planet altogether."
I have often used the analogy that our first day of NOT sending our son to Kindergarten was like floating out in space. It was a weightless, groundless, quiet void where I didn't really know what to do with myself or him. I had that feeling again this summer when I made the decision to unschool...even had a dream about being on a space station, which I could only attribute to that lost in space feeling. It's the perfect description because it's so true. To make the steps to homeschooling and unschooling, for a person like me, is to leave behind everything you know and step into uncharted territory. You only have the stories of those who've gone before you with their own families to give you the momentum to keep going and keep trying new things.

However, I have discovered that I'm naturally more of an unschooler than I'd previously thought. I have always struggled with schedules, and we were never very good at "doing school". Last year I remember a friend posting pictures of her children celebrating their 100th day of school, and upon looking at the calendar I realized we'd only completed about 50 sit-at-a-desk days of school ourselves. While I used to view this as a negative, I now see the positive in it.

In the book, Sandra talks about the importance of deschooling. The suggested guideline is to deschool your children one month for every year of traditional schooling before really getting the unschooling ball rolling. Further, she recommends parents do the same. For me, that would be 13 months of deschooling (one month for each of my years in public school K-12, and not counting nursery school or college). We have been deschooling since June and I'm happy to report that my children have not lost their joy of learning, especially not my youngest three. I'm so grateful for that! My oldest is not as carefree as his siblings yet, but he still eagerly pores over books about tornadoes, spies, and the periodic table of elements. And I already have the curiosity and desire for closeness with my children that is so crucial for unschooling parents to have. This gives me confidence that we will not need to deschool for any extended period of time, though I will give my oldest more time than the others. I feel he deserves that.

There are laws, however, and Sandra does make mention of knowing them. Thankfully the state we live in requires only that we keep attendance 180 days of the year. To one in the unschooling camp, this is no problem. Children learn 365 days a year. Check!  But for the sake of keeping us covered, I've decided to record their learning, quietly, as to not distract them, for at least 180 days of the year. Today it went something like this:

E:
Read book, Tornado! (Reading, Science)
Played Minecraft (Math, Geometry, Technology)
Wrote letter to friend (Language Arts, Writing, Grammar, Handwriting, Spelling)
Ran around the yard pretending to be a Ninja (Phys. Ed.)
Started learning about making stop-motion videos (Technology)

A and B:
Discussed and compared small, medium, and large toys at dentist's office (Math)
Discussed shape toys at dentist's office (Math, Geometry)
Talked about Easter Island statues prompted by National Geographic mag (History)
Observed and picked out snails at PetSmart (Science)
Picked up various items for dog, cat, rabbit, and fish (Science, Health)
Made bead necklaces to spell their names (Writing, Spelling, Fine Motor, Art)
Played "smoothie making" and "doctor" iPad apps (Health, Science, Technology)
Painted paper (Art, Fine Motor)

S:
Played Endless Alphabet iPad app (Language Arts, Pre-reading, Technology)
Washed hands by himself (Health)
Learned that sunny spots are warmer than shady ones (Science)
Painted and cut paper (Art, Fine Motor)

All:
Took dog on walk around neighborhood (Geography, Science, Health, Phys. Ed.)
Released a tree frog we raised from a tadpole (Science)
Watched Jaws (Science, Technology)
Lived, worked and played together, and interacted with others (Socialization)

The list could go on and on. The beauty is, it's not complicated. These are real life lessons that would have otherwise been replicated in a classroom, undoubtedly in worksheet form. How much sweeter is it to be just fluid parts of life? The children have no idea these things can be broken down into subjects. Their world isn't compartmentalized. It just is. So while this place might feel otherworldly, I'll take it. We are blessed to live this life! I'm so anxious to see where this grand adventure takes us!


2 comments:

  1. Where do I start? "Fluid parts of life." Wow.
    What a great post. You are a natural teacher. You and your children are so fortunate to have found this new way of teaching. It benefits you as much as it does your children. I'm so happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty, though. I'm not their teacher. I'm just the suggester, encourager, question-answerer

      Delete