Saturday, July 27, 2013

School's Out (Forever)


So, I'm sure you've all noticed this annoying trend with stores where seasonal items seem to be stocked 4...5...6 months in advance.  Last week a girlfriend of mine was looking for swimming gear for her children and was unable to locate what she needed at Walmart, the place that has everything (for three cents less than their competitors).  Here it is, still July, and I've even seen some Christmas items on the shelves in some places! But there's similar trend I'm noticing.  Perhaps I notice it more now that we've decided to unschool, but it strikes me just the same.  Many of my friends seem to have written off the rest of summer, and for good reason!  For those in traditional schools, some of their kids only have a week or two left before they have to go back, and some have even started!

At the risk of aging myself...(insert old fogey voice)...when I was a kid we had until the end of August before we had to go back.  And before my time it was after Labor Day!  What is the rush?!  (This is obviously a rhetorical question, as my traditionally schooling friends don't have control over the decisions of the powers that be in their district.)  Kids now have Spring Break while there's snow on the ground, and get out of school while it's still cool.  It feels like they are being robbed of time they could be enjoying in the sun.  And during those precious few weeks, there are constant reminders everywhere, in every commercial break, in every store, that school will be back in session in no time!   There are commercials where the parents just can't wait to get rid of their kids for 9 1/2 months.  Maybe some parents feel that way, but I know most of my friends don't, and their kids certainly don't feel it's the happiest time of year either.  It gives me anxiety remembering how I felt as a child, dreading that first day and counting down how many more days of freedom I had.

I'm not sure why this bothers *me* so much.  I'm not bound by the traditional school year.  In fact, our unschooling group will be having a "Not Back to School" camping trip in September...when it's still summer.  I think it bothers me because it makes my mind drift further ahead than I care for it to drift.  It makes me feel rushed. Why can't we live in the present?  It's like people who take their Christmas tree down December 26th when there are still 10 more days of Christmas to celebrate.  I guess it's just sort of a buzzkill.  Do I have to follow what they do?  Of course not!  But it is still a downer to hear about it.

As the matriarch of our family, I'm vowing to take summer back!  And Christmas!  And whatever else we want to hang onto a little longer.  Summer in our family will last until the leaves fall off the trees, and we won't celebrate the next season until it is actually upon us.  We will get to that next step in due time.  No need to rush it, because before we know it, we'll be longing to have these days back.  Who's with me?!  Those of you who have kids in school, you can join me too!  Just because you're on someone else's schedule Monday through Friday doesn't mean you have to settle in to the routine.  You are still in charge of your weekends.  TO SUMMER!

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely with you. Like you, I have already seen Halloween stuff on shelves. I don't know why Walmart (and the other stores that insist on having their version of Christmas in July)doesn't just create separate stores just for that nonsense. You know why? Because it wouldn't make money! And yet they insist on cramming the garden department with every conceivable decoration for the holidays. Retail has forever changed the way people look at holidays, and it isn't for the better.
    And I LOVE your approach to summer and unschooling. You're happier and so are the kids. Enjoy your summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I realize I'm really an unschooler, our summer suddenly doubled in length. School kids have like a hiccup of summer before they have to get back to the school desks and to the task of relearning what they forgot since May. For us. the learning never starts and stops. We learn in every season. So thankful we have plenty more warm days of summer left!

    ReplyDelete